Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I have been terrible at sticking to my exercise routine! My goal was to walk five times a week. That was quickly whittled down to a goal of three times a week. And then it got to the point where I was lucky if I walked once. I am so darn lazy. I could blame it on the cold weather, on the fact that it gets dark out so early and it's not safe to walk at night, or on how I'm still battling some pregnancy fatigue. But really, all of those excuses are pretty pathetic. I simply have not been making exercise a priority.
Someone slap my wrists please.
On Monday I decided that I really needed to put my lame excuses aside and step into my runners again. So after work I did the 4 km loop around Dale Meadows. And I am SO GLAD that I did.
The air was crisp, I had Counting Crows crooning in my ears, and as I walked I had the time and quietness to just be alone with my own thoughts. It really had been too long.
I walked past many houses and thought of the people who live in them. How some of them are lonely and alienated.
Then I passed the little creek and remembered the story of the little two year-old boy who wandered away and drowned there.
As I made my way around the valley I saw the rolling hills of orchards and I saw a few ponies eating hay and I smelled the stench of sheep manure, and I saw the sky slowly darken.
I thought about how my baby was on the walk with me, and I got to thinking that I will never be without my child again. I have lived for 23 years without my baby, but now that it is growing within me, I will never know what life without him/her will be like. I will never be without the company, or the memory of his/her life.
I am going to go for that same walk today.
And I'm looking forward to it.

Amanda Brown at 12:02 PM

6comments

6 Comments

at 12:14 PM Blogger Isabella said...

It's so true, and although there are some days when you'll wish you could be without that little person, there are so many more when you're thankful they're there. You walk seemed to have a lot of sadness though, I hope today you can remember some more happy things about that area!

 
at 12:48 PM Blogger Jen said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it Amanda. If you ever need a walking partner, give me a ring ding ding. :)

 
at 2:18 PM Blogger Abbey said...

Hi Steve and Amanda,
Wow!!! It's been a long time since I've seen/spoke to either of you. This is Abbey from cape by the way, I don't know if you remember me or not. I'm married to Jon Kehler. We've been married for 3 1/2 years now. We have two beautiful children. Congratulations on the coming addition to your little family. That's VERY exciting. Anyways, I saw the link to your blog in Andy Wouda's which I found through a friend of mine and I thought I drop in and say hi. It was nice getting to see your faces again, and reading your exciting news. I pray that everything goes well for you in this pregnancy and in the upcoming delivery. God bless you guys.

 
at 3:32 PM Blogger Angella said...

Your post makes me want to get out and walk! But pushing 70 pounds of children is a BIG disincentive :)

Have fun!

 
at 3:57 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! I can't wait to have kids myself.

 
at 7:04 AM Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

I have been DYING for a walk. I have oodles of time out here but it's just so freaking windy I'd totally blow away. Or the wind wouls just rip my skin off and leave me standing there naked and fleshless. Can't wait to come back and walk with you and your baby!

 

Post a Comment