Friday, January 13, 2006

Toss, Flush, or Scrape?

One thing I am honestly not too thrilled about my upcoming waltz with motherhood is changing diapers. I know, I know, "when it's your own kid it's really not so bad" is the response I get from every mom I've met.
But I have my doubts.
Poop is really gross.
End of story.
But I realize that a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do and I'm sure I'll get used to wiping pooey bum cracks all day long.
The question then is: what kind of diapers to use?
I have always assumed that I would go the disposable route, simply because the thought of scraping chunks of poo off of a cloth diaper into the toilet and then proceeding to wash a butt-load of poo-covered diapers in the SAME WASHING MACHINE THAT WASHES MY JEANS has never really appealed to me.
But then I heard about these flushable diapers...they look expensive and like they would leak pretty easily, but that seems like an environmentally friendly option.
Who knows?
Maybe I'll be on of those wacky parents who tries to train my infant in the art of "elimination communication" and as soon as I see her (yes, "her"...Annelises, of course!) face scrunch up to push out a massive dump, I'll run her over the bathroom and hold her little 8 pound body over the toilet while she turds.
SOME PEOPLE REALLY DO THIS.
I read about it in the newspaper.
I won't knock it till I've tried it.

Amanda Brown at 3:45 PM

7comments

7 Comments

at 7:07 PM Blogger D said...

I read in Today's Parent magazine that it turns out that between the bleach and the washing machine detergent / energy / water wasted to wash them / etc, that the environmental impacts of disposables vs. cloth diapers isn't really significant. There's one guilt trip gone. Prepare yourself for many many more.

 
at 7:09 PM Blogger Janice said...

HUGGIES ALL THE WAY!! I to had a brief thought of doing cloth and then thought, yuck! Instead of throwing it away you would have to clean the bebes bum and then the poop from the diaper. My sister does cloth (and hopefully she never sees this) but it stinks up her house if you leave one laying around for awhile. Start stalking up on diapers now and you'll be set!!

 
at 7:48 AM Blogger Angella said...

I agree with the disposable, but Huggies leaked on both my boys. And 2 of my nephews :)
Pampers or Teddy's Choice (wholesale club) work the best for us!

 
at 9:38 AM Blogger Isabella said...

I'm a disposable girl myself and never gave thought cloth, but there are many diaper services, so if you want to go that route they do some of the smelly work for ya. We were a Huggies family (and they worked good for us, but not Huggies Supremes for some reason), but then we thought "Hey we just toss these after they get crapped on!", so we go with the cheap no name brand at Superstore and find them just as good! (For almost half as much). So much to think about, eh? I know you'll make the best decision for your family, but these consumer reviews are a bit fun!

 
at 10:31 AM Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

I just let my kids poop on the floor. It works the best for us. In the toy box, under the bed, in the tub. Whenever they feel the need to do so. That's the real reason why Ben is always naked. Easier for pooping.

 
at 10:40 AM Blogger Elizabeth said...

I have both and I use both. I haven't had any really terrible poops in my disposables, which is actually unbelievable. I think Hutner waits until he has a disposable on before he does his business.. what a great kid! Anyhow, I like Huggies but they do leak on boys - they can find the edge. Other than that... Costco are good and cheap and I agree that Superstore brand and Safeway brand are fine, too. I prefered Pampers for newborns.

 
at 10:22 AM Blogger Jen said...

Disposable. And only Pampers. That's what works for us and I don't think I'd ever consider doing it differently. My mind is closed, the decision made. It's final. We are a wasteful, unenvironmentally friendly family but we don't smell like poop! ;)

 

Post a Comment