Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Don't Go!

Nearly a year ago, Craig and Adele Meadow packed up all their belongings, hopped on a plane, flew over the ocean and arrived in the Okanagan in search of a fresh start and a new world. Craig is a skilled tradesman whose trade is in demand and there is a desperate need for workers in his field, so he was sponsored to come to Canada for that very reason. Shortly after their arrival Adele found work at a government funded employment agency and she spends her days helping people find jobs. Both Craig and Adele have been contributing to society and the Canadian economy from the moment they set foot on our soil.
I'll never forget the first time I met Adele and Craig. They had been coming to our church for a few weeks but hadn't met any people their own age. (I hadn't seen them...if I had, I would have said hello!) They found a pastor to introduce them to some young people, and they were led to us. We introduced ourselves and I saw the look of desperation in their eyes. They needed friends. And fast. So I invited them to come to Christy's birthday party that day, thinking they would probably decline since they didn't know any of the other people who would be there. But they came, all by themselves. I was so impressed.
That afternoon we visited and I remember asking Adele what she liked to do.
"I like to read," she replied in her classy English accent.
"Oh, what sort of books do you like?" I asked, in my lame Canadian accent.
"TRASHY ones!" she answered.
And it was in that moment that I knew we would get along. She is a strong, vital and authentic woman and I have loved getting to know her.
A few weeks ago the Meadows received the news that their visa had been denied. There are a lot of stupid reasons they were given, and I think all of the excuses are LAME.
Craig and Adele deserve to stay!
I don't want them to go.
I called Stockwell Day's office and talked to one of his reps who gave me a load of bung saying that a member of parliament has no role to play once the immigration process has started.
In other words, I got written off.
If you're reading this, Stockwell, know that I am not going to vote for you on January 23 unless you let the Meadows stay.
Who's with me?

Amanda Brown at 3:33 PM

2comments

2 Comments

at 4:07 PM Blogger Adele said...

Thanks Amanda it means so much to us to know that our friends care so much about us and want us to stay. Believe me we want nothing more than to be able to spend thenext 50 years in Summerland and we're doing everything we can to make that happen and to his credit so is Stockwell Day who rang Craig's boss personally to offer his help. Thanks for your friendship I don't know what I'd have done in Canada without all you guys (probably spent my days reading trashy novels and eating chocolate)

 
at 4:20 PM Blogger Angella said...

Don't you STILL read trashy novels & eat chocolate? I thought we were the added bonus :)
Can't wait until you move across the street, Adele.
And I love you too, Amanda :)

 

Post a Comment