Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mum's The Word?

"Now, Amanda, I don't want you to tell Mom about the birthday present for her that you just saw me hide in the cupboard, OK?" Dad explained to me, his four year old daughter.
"OK, Daddy," I agreed.
Moments later, my mother walked in the door, and I looked up at her, put the fingernail of my index finger between my front teeth and said, "Hi, Mommy. Look in the cupboard!"
From a very young age I have never been able to keep a secret, and I am the master of ruining a good surprise. You'd think that I would get over this and learn to contain things, but no.
This year for Steve's birthday, I didn't have anything really elaborate planned. But I still managed to spill the beans about what I had in mind.
"So, since it's been so busy, Steve, I don't think we'll throw a big party this year, just something small with close friends. Is that OK?"
He assured me it was.
"I did order you something though."
"What?"
"I'm not telling."
"Yeah right."
"I'M NOT!"
"OK, fine. I'd rather wait and be surprised anyways."
"Fine I'll tell you. I ordered a big ice cream cake from Dairy Queen with a picture of a dirtbike on it and it says 'Steve is Swell....Happy Birthday!'"
He just smiled.
Then yesterday I told him, "Don't make breakfast for yourself tomorrow morning, OK?"
"Why? Are you going to make me breakfast in bed?"
"No."
"Oh."
"But, even if I'm not here when you wake up, don't eat anything, OK?"
"Why? Where are you going to go?"
"I don't know."
"Yes you do."
"Yes, I do. I am going to to McDonalds and pick up your favourite breakfast items and bring them to you to start your birthday off on the right foot."
So, even though the only things I had planned were a cake and a few lousy egg Mcmuffins, I still managed to give Steve an exact outline of what was going to happen!

Amanda Brown at 1:20 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 1:55 PM Blogger Jen said...

That's too funny. Sounds like me. I always give Jordan his birthday present before his birthday even comes because I can't wait any longer. Usually at Christmas I go and do my shopping, get home- can't wait to give him everything and so I do. Then I go out a few days before Christmas and shop for him again because I'm disappointed that Christmas was ruined by giving the gifts early.

You'd think I'd learn - but no.

 
at 2:53 PM Blogger Adele said...

I love that about you, it's part of your spontaneous, joyful spirit.

 
at 6:00 PM Blogger Isabella said...

I'm giggling so hard right now I think I have to pee. I'm sure there are some secrets you're good at keeping.....

 
at 11:29 AM Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

You're just like me. Didn't I just finish saying to you yesterday: "I'm not really supposed to tell you this but..."

 

Post a Comment