Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Fish of Death


Rolo likes dead things.
He likes to help things become dead. Like marmots and mice, which he stalks in the orchard and swallows whole. It's really sick.
Yesterday I took our savage beast for a walk down Trout Creek and let him off the leash to run for a bit. Before I knew it he had sprinted ahead, nearly out of sight. I called him to come back, but he disobeyed and stayed where he was. As I got closer I saw that he was rolling around on the dirt path like a maniac, writhing and squirming on the ground.
Then I saw what he was doing.
There was a fish carcass on the side of the path and Rolo thought it would be cool to cover his fur with the scent of rotting flesh. He was all over that dead fish, raking his skinny little body over the decaying scales and smelly bones.
I hollered, "Rolo! Nooooooooooo!" and he looked up at me like I was the weird one here. He got up and we continued our walk.
I thought the breeze would air him out a bit before we got back into the car to drive home.
I thought wrong.
Rolo smelled like death and fish guts and pain and sorrow all mixed together and it was all I could do to keep from ralfing before I got him home and hucked him in the bathtub.
It was neat.

Amanda Brown at 1:30 PM

4comments

4 Comments

at 2:20 PM Blogger Mama Bear said...

GAG!

 
at 2:36 PM Blogger Jen said...

Ugh ... gross. Blech.

 
at 8:00 PM Blogger Isabella said...

Dogs and dead things, Kids and garbage. Life is smelly!

 
at 7:57 AM Blogger Becky said...

Nikita does the same thing!! It is disgusting! She is too small to make anything become dead, but she enjoys rolling in them! We were at Travis' house, and she started rolling in a dead, rotting mouse from a mouse trap in their basement!! The mouse was so decayed it was only chunks of fur and some bones... But it stank soo much.. I almost barfed.

 

Post a Comment