Thursday, April 06, 2006

Stupid Placenta

At my last ultrasound it was confirmed that my placenta is lying on the anterior side of my uterus, which means it's at the front of my belly. This isn't cause for concern, but it can affect the sensations of the baby's movement since the kicks and flutters are often cushioned by the placenta. I am nearly 26 weeks pregnant and the movement I feel has still been quite faint, compared to what other mothers have experienced. I was starting to get worried that something was wrong, and it's hard when you don't feel those reassuring boots in the ribs, but this afternoon she has been bopping around like mad.
A relief.
I was so excited to make it through the first trimester without miscarrying. Then I was filled with joy to brimming when we found out the cysts had disappeared. But even with all those milestones behind us, there is still the realization that we are powerless in this whole endeavor. Sure, I can eat healthily and not go in hot tubs and pass on the booze, but even with all that there are no guarantees that things will work out perfectly.
I think we've boarded a scary train.
But I'm still so thankful to be on it.

Amanda Brown at 3:41 PM

7comments

7 Comments

at 3:55 PM Blogger Jen said...

I'm so glad you had an afternoon of movement! Always so reassuring. To be honest, the train ride doesn't get any less scary but you wouldn't hop off if you were given the chance!

 
at 4:06 PM Blogger D said...

Holey Moley Amanda. I check and check and no new posts, then I'm gone for a couple days and Wham! there's a novel when I get back!
I'm glad it's been so exciting around there lately.

 
at 4:20 PM Blogger Mama Bear said...

when i was working in maternity last year, we had a baby girl born at 26 weeks (obviously a preemy, she had to be removed from her mom who was fatally ill with cancer). I saw the little Preemy babe so I have an actual visual of what your little baby girl must look like....if only you could see the picture in my head...it's AWESOME!!!
(and you will be happy to know that although the babe was born sooooo early, she is happy and healthy and completely fine).

 
at 6:57 PM Blogger Kaili said...

I love to little boots I get all day, and yes it is VERY reassuring!
Enjoy the wiggles!

 
at 7:22 PM Blogger Elizabeth said...

Enjoy the kicks and nudges. You may very well miss them when the baby is born!

 
at 9:08 PM Blogger Angella said...

The adventure has only begun!
:)

 
at 10:25 PM Blogger Amanda Franks said...

Aren't ultrasounds neat inventions? I mean if you didn't know the placement of the placenta you could be thinking that something was radically wrong that you couldn't feel the kicking. Amazing machines.

 

Post a Comment