Monday, April 03, 2006

Sword in the Bull


My brother is finishing his stint in Europe by travelling around Spain and Belgium. He has strict orders to bring me back a few good pounds of Belgian chocolate, and he had better deliver. I haven't heard from him too much in the past while as he's been scooting around the foreign countries, but when I talked to my parents yesterday they mentioned that he went to a bull fight in Spain. "How cool is that?" I thought. But then my dad went on to explain that Steve (my brother...yes, his name is Steve too. It's confusing, so I call him Peeve to clear up the madness) had actually been quite disturbed by it. "What's so disturbing about seeing a little Spanish man wave a red flag in front of a bull?" I asked.
To which my dad replied, "Don't you know that they kill the bull at the end?"
"What? Why?! I thought it was all just fun and games, watching the matador get chased by a bull."
Apparently not.
They stick a bunch of little swords into the bull, and then finish him off with a really big sword that kills him.
Sick!
My poor brother. He has a really soft heart, as far as those of guys go. When our cat, Misty, had to be put down, he held her in his arms while she took her last breath and pinned a photo of her on his wall for years following. He loves animals and I imagine the shock of watching a bull being slaughtered was quite disheartening for him.
Poor Peeve.
Maybe I'll share some of my Belgian chocolate with him when I see him in Regina in a few weeks.
Maybe not, though.
He'll get over it.

Amanda Brown at 3:03 PM

5comments

5 Comments

at 4:06 PM Blogger Jen said...

Aw. Poor Peeve. I think that deserves atleast one little piece of your chocolate.

 
at 5:41 PM Blogger Becky said...

I had no idea that they killed the bulls at the end! That would be hard to watch. I think that you should drop off a bit of your chocolate over Lethbridge as you fly back home.

 
at 5:57 PM Blogger Elizabeth said...

What a sad realization, eh? I had no idea, either.

 
at 8:25 PM Blogger Angella said...

I think you should give him a piece, and then bring the rest back to share with us Summerland girls :)

 
at 4:48 AM Blogger Susie said...

That's so sad. :(

 

Post a Comment