Wednesday, April 05, 2006

AquaThighs

So, we did it.
I, along with three brave friends, hopped into the pool last night for an hour of calculated flailing and kicking and bouncing in the water.
It was great!
There were about 12 people in the class. We were the youngest, by far, and, of course, the hottest. There was only one man in the pool with us, a devoted husband who came to be with his wife. How sweet.
I had been expecting our instructor to be a hard-bodied, perky little woman lifeguard, but instead he was a little chubby with a gut that rivalled mine. He was really into it, though, and seemed to be having fun so the rest of us were put at ease. The crazy dance music started pumping and we began to follow the instructor's pool side leading. The song choices were hilarious! Everything was a peppy remix, from Shania Twain to the Beatles.
About halfway through the hour we moved into the deep water for the more challenging portion of the class. We had to wear these floaty belts and do all sorts of hard stuff like flutter-kicking forcefully enough to keep our heads, shoulders and raised arms above the water.
After a few seconds of vigorous flutter-kicking, I got the WORST FOOTCRAMP OF MY LIFE and had to dog paddle to the side of the pool to weep in private. It took a good four minutes to be able to extend my toes again. I felt like such a narf.
Owell, I was fine after that and the rest of the class was great. I am definitely feeling the effects of the workout today. My thighs are achey and my arms are tender. They say that water aerobics are only as challenging as you choose to make them, meaning you determine the level of resistance at which you want to work out. Well, I worked it, baby!
The highlight of the night was at the beginning of the class. Our instructor asked if anyone had any medical conditions that he needed to be made aware of. I raised my hand and said that I was pregnant.
"Well, you must be very early in your pregnancy."
"Actually, I'm six and a half months."
"Wow. You're lucky."
Meaning, he didn't think I looked like an obese orca!
Hurrah for a little boost to the ol' self esteem.

Amanda Brown at 8:56 AM

6comments

6 Comments

at 9:18 AM Blogger Jen said...

I liked the class too! I'm not feeling it today though, even though I worked it as hard as I could last night. I guess I'm in better shape than you. ;) j/k

 
at 10:02 AM Blogger Adele said...

We did it! I have to admit though I'm not really feeling the effect today, I'll have to try harder tomorrow and maybe even attempt the deep water!

 
at 10:09 AM Blogger Elizabeth said...

you're too cute, Amanda... too cute!

 
at 11:04 AM Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

My shoulders are a bit sore from the weights but I think I need to bring my work out up a notch to really feel the burn. I liked it though. I slept like a rock.

 
at 11:25 AM Blogger Mama Bear said...

oh....i hear ya on the foot cramps. i get those too! They hurt like the dickens!!

 
at 10:26 PM Blogger Marla said...

i'm so glad you enjoyed the aquasize. it really can be a great workout...and easy on the joints too. i went to a couple of aquasize classes a couple of years ago and wasn't quite prepared to fight the old ladies from "their" part of the swimming pool ledge. they get possessive! and lucky for me, i was warned about grabbing 2 lbs weights instead of the 5 lbs i thought i could handle. by the end of the class, i just about sunk with my puny 2 lb-ers!! and you really do look fantastic!

 

Post a Comment