Thursday, March 09, 2006

My Duvet is Naked. And Hairy.

The smallest tasks have seemed insurmountable to me lately. I have been staring at three hampers full of clean laundry that need to be folded for over a week, but can't muster the will to put it away. Instead, I dig through the piles every morning in search of something wrinkly and suitable to wear for the day. And last night it took me about an hour to convince myself to unload the dishwasher. I am just wiped all the time!
All those people who promised I would perk up in the second trimester? They are lying scoundrels.
One of the funniest things I have been extra terrible about maintaining is our bed. It is made only once a week, when I clean the house on Saturdays. The rest of the time it is a rumpled tangle of sheets and pillows. Two weeks ago I was feeling ambitious and decided to wash our duvet cover. No biggie, right? Just toss it in the washer, then the dryer, then put it back on the duvet. I completed the first two steps and was feeling good. But it was there my progress ended.
Our washed duvet cover has been sitting, crumpled, in one of the laundry hampers for two weeks. Each night we climb into bed, Steve sighs, "So. You didn't put the cover back on yet?"
And I say, "WHY DON'T YOU PUT IT BACK ON, FARMER?"
Now our duvet is covered in dog hair, from Rolo leaping up on the bed every morning to greet us with a body slam and lots of puppy-dog kisses.
So I figure, the duvet needs to be dry-cleaned now anways, and there's no point putting a clean duvet cover on a hairy duvet, so it remains naked for one more day.
Quit judging me.
I am pregnant.
And that covers a multitude of sins.

Amanda Brown at 3:38 PM

9comments

9 Comments

at 4:28 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you have an excuse. What's mine?

 
at 4:34 PM Blogger Jen said...

I was not one of those people who promised the return of energy in the 2nd trimester. I only got more and more tired as my pregnacy went on. I do hope you find some energy in the weeks to come. :)

And yes, pregnancy forgives all housekeeping sins. It truly does.

 
at 6:36 PM Blogger D said...

The only thing we jude you is funny and cute.
We've all been there.
Some of us (like moi) live there.

 
at 7:51 PM Blogger Elizabeth said...

you're so funny. I love reading your blog. It makes me smile!

 
at 8:10 PM Blogger Susie said...

I used the "I'm pregnant" excuse for EVERYTHING when I was with child. Now I have no excuse and we don't even own a duvet cover. Tell Steve to do it or quit his complaining. Your blogs always make me laugh. Looking forward to Saturday, yum.... strawberries.

 
at 7:21 AM Blogger Angella said...

I, too, have a naked duvet...but at least we don't have dog hair...just people germs :)

 
at 11:47 AM Blogger karen said...

I think you're just getting prepared for motherhood -- and I can tell you'll be so good at it -- just wait till you put a load of laundry in the WASHER and can't be bothered to take it out, and it goes all stinky and moldy and you have to rewash. Then you finally put it in the dryer, and it sits there for 2 days all wrinkly and cold, then you pull it out into a laundry hamper, and just stop folding clothes all together. And, you won't even have a cleaning day once a week, you'll be lucky if it's once a month.
That's what happens around here, anyways!! :)

 
at 1:27 PM Blogger Mama Bear said...

hey, my friend kirstin and i are coming to westbank this weekend. wanna frolic in orchards with us? take some pics for the blog?

*smiles and nods*

 
at 11:59 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you, no matter what!

 

Post a Comment