Friday, February 24, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name

I have often heard friends say that it is difficult to pick out a baby's name before the child is born, because what if the newborn doesn't look like the name you've chosen? Although I have never birthed a babe, I have seen lots of pictures of what newborns look like.
And it's not pretty.
They have cone heads from being rammed through the birth canal, they are all pruney and covered in cheesy gross stuff, and they are beet red. How would any name be fitting for a child at that stage? They haven't really exuded any aspect of their personality, and they look kind of freaky. If you went with a name that suited a newborn, most babies would be named Pointy-Skull or Indigo-Face or Cheese-Monkey.
Maybe I'll change my mind once our baby is born, and I'll look down at my little cone-headed wonder and say, "You don't look like a Natalia. You look like a Bertha. Bertha Brown."

Amanda Brown at 10:02 AM

7comments

7 Comments

at 10:55 AM Blogger Angella said...

Graham's name was picked before we even thought about trying to have a baby. And Nathan's was picked before he was born too. Goes against my Type A personality to leave it to the end :)
But please don't name her Bertha.

 
at 11:06 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

My new favorite is Cheese-Monkey. And I don't care if Steve likes it.

 
at 12:01 PM Blogger Jen said...

We had Abigail Olivia picked before she was born. I think that a baby just grows into the name. I can't imagine her as anything byt "Abby". I'm sure if we would have named her "Roxy" she would look exactly like a Roxy to us. ;)

 
at 12:07 PM Blogger Stephanie and Brad said...

Gershwald Cheesy-Monkey Brown. I wonder how many times he'd get duct tape to a telephone pole in high school with a name like that?

 
at 1:04 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you were born,I thought you looked a little like Oma(must have been those drugs)How would you have liked the name,Elsie?Your Momma.

 
at 3:15 PM Blogger Isabella said...

Great jab Amanda! I am the one who thinks a baby should be named post birth. I'll out myself. It's me. I did not want to name Isabella her name. I had another one all picked out and was scheming on how to get Nick to agree, but when he held her, after they cleaned up the goop all we could do was stare in her eyes and say "she's beautiful", hence Isabella. I have a few fave guy names. Say I have my heart set on Zachary. To me Zachary denotes a football player type man-broad shoulders, a guy who looks like he can take a school yard beating. But if I have a son born with slender shoulders and his eyes just seem to say "can I please just read another book?" I don't think Zach would fit. But if I already have all my friends calling the baby Zach, how can I change? Maybe I'm too much of a people pleaser. But to me it makes sense to wait. So while Nick and I have our top three faves on each side, they wont be shared pre-birth and we wont have made the final decision until that baby is born. But like I said, more power to you if you can pick the name pre-birth and be confident in it!

 
at 5:36 PM Blogger Kaili said...

We are also like Angella and Matt. Robin and I have names picked out for years. It's the just middle names we are trying to tweek now to fit with the first names. And we are both open to changing our mind if we just NEED to call our Babe cheesy-monkey!

 

Post a Comment