Friday, October 28, 2005

I'll Laugh Politely, But...

A parenting workshop was held at the church this morning. All of the moms dropped their kids off in the nursery, which is but a few doors down from my office, before the class started. I saw Ben and Megan, and Nathan, and Jocelyn, and all of the cute little faces that I have come to know and love.
Then the screaming began.
From down the hall, I could hear the wails, the sobs, the sniffles, and the mournful howls of toddlers whose moms had left them to rot in the dreadful church nursery.
One of the moms popped into the nursery and commented on the screaming, "Listening to that is probably a pretty good form of birth control for you, hey?"
I laughed politely and said yes, but deep down I was thinking, "No. I am ready for a baby. And it's probably going to be one that screams louder than all of those toddlers down the hall combined. And I will be proud of my little screamer*. Bring it."
*I know that I will eat these words when I actually do have a baby, but for now it's fun to just talk big.

Amanda Brown at 11:04 AM

5comments

5 Comments

at 11:49 AM Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

No matter what sort of child you have, be it a screamer or a gentle, sweet, polite little angel you will be head over heels in love.

 
at 12:40 PM Blogger karen said...

Be careful what you wish for because you never know what you're going to get (speaking from experience)! :) It's so true though, that you'll love them to bits IN SPITE of how they drive you crazy...... so crazy.

 
at 1:34 PM Blogger Jen said...

I completely agree with these other commenters! Luckily I got a sweet little angel. ;)

 
at 3:49 PM Blogger Elizabeth said...

You will love the child more than you can even imagine. And then, when they cry with tears rolling down their cheeks because their little legs hurt from being poked at their shots, it will make you cry, too. Been there, done that.

 
at 10:57 PM Blogger Isabella said...

I tell myselt the screamers are the future Myriah Carey's. Then I stop and think, do I want Belle to be Mariah Carey? And while I get caught up in the daydream I forget she's crying.

 

Post a Comment