Thursday, October 13, 2005

Revelations

In the course of my 23 years, there have been certain truths that have just struck me. Some profound, others simple. A lot of them were learned at a young age. Allow me to share...
- Clouds: they MOVE. I remember laying on my back on the front lawn and looking up at the sky. It was a windy day, and the clouds were thin, and I saw them being swept across the sky. I thought I was the first person to ever realize that clouds move.
- People keep on living their lives, even if I'm not around to see it. I remember driving around late one night with my parents. It was dark and the houses that lined the street had their lights on, so I could peer inside and see people watching TV or eating dinner or playing board games. It was then that I realized that, contrary to former belief, I was not the centre of the universe. That one is still a little hard to swallow. Donald Miller, in his book Blue Like Jazz expresses a similar thought when he writes about how he always thought that life was just a movie about him, and he would get annoyed when other "actors" interfered with his plot. As selfish as that sounds, I can identify with it.
-The person looking back at me from the mirror is ME. I remember brushing my teeth at the bathroom sink, looking at my reflection and all of a sudden I was like, "Wo. I am a human being, and I exist, and I can see myself in this looking glass." Again, this is one of those things that I STILL find weird. Life is so strange, really.
- Cats tongues feel weird. I got my first cat, Misty, when I was eight years old. She was a tabby who had been rescued from the street and I loved her fiercely. The first night I brought her home, she curled up on my lap and was purring contentedly. Then she licked my hand, and I freaked out. I thought something was wrong with her...her tongue felt like a dagger. A dagger made of sandpaper. I got used to it, but was scared at first by my mutant cat.
-Kissing involves the exchange of saliva. I know, sounds like an obvious thought, but I was caught so off guard by the slobbery, slippery mess of a first kiss I ever had. It was at Stoney Lake Bible Camp and I was 13. Seriously, I wanted to throw up in my mouth. So much spit. Kissing is much better now, though.
OK, that's enough wisdom for one day. I trust you were enlightened.

Amanda Brown at 2:08 PM

1comments

1 Comments

at 2:54 PM Blogger Jen said...

LOL! You know what's funny. I remember having very similar revelations. Especially the one about people carrying on with their lives when you aren't around. I always kind of assumed that as soon as I left a room, everything in that room paused and waited for me to return. Now I always look at people when I'm stopped at a red light and think "I wonder where they are going?"

 

Post a Comment