Wednesday, October 12, 2005

On the Path

Today is one of those days when I am extra aware of the fact that I am a living human being, with legs and arms and a body that fills with breath every few seconds. As I walked down the streets of my little town, feeling the cool air on my legs, I had the distinct feeling that I was on a journey. I was just strolling down to the post office, but it felt like more than that. I was aware of the exact moment I was standing in. I felt my age, I felt my lungs fill with cold air, I felt my legs propel me down the hill, I felt that the moments were escaping far too quickly.
They are.
I read a beautiful quote the other day by Donald Miller in his book Through Painted Deserts:
"It occurs to me, as it sometimes does, that this day is over and will never be lived again, that we are only the sum of days, and when those are spent, we will not come back to this place, to this time, to these people and these colors, and I wonder whether to be sad about this or to be happy, to trust that these hours are meant for some kind of enjoyment, as a kind of blessing."
That captures what I was feeling today.

Amanda Brown at 5:42 PM

3comments

3 Comments

at 6:08 PM Blogger Jen said...

I've had days like that. I think you have to live each day to the fullest and treat each morning that you wake up like a blessing.

I really like that quote, I've read it before.

 
at 7:04 PM Blogger Angella said...

One of my favourite quotes:
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
Angella

 
at 1:22 PM Blogger karen said...

It's such a good feeling to be aware of every little thing. It needs to happen more!

off topic, I know, but there's MORE Jamie and Leanna!?!? That made my day! I'm soooooo excited. Sometimes I get so sad when I get to the end of a good read because it's all over.

 

Post a Comment