Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Tiny Harvest

Erin and I Pitted the Little Fruity Gems

This weekend Steve and I roused early, before the sun's rays became too strong, to pick the last of the cherries. This was the first year that the cherry trees produced a crop, so the harvest was quite small. Like, we're talking about one ziploc bag full of cherries. Steve's dad had picked quite a few the week before, I guess, so we were left with the shriveled remnants. Owell, what can you do? It was fun to scour the trees for the hidden clusters of fruit, and it was nice to spend some time with my favorite farmer. If someone would have told me 4 years ago that I would be the wife of a farmer, I would have laughed in their face. Quite loudly. You see, I was raised a city girl, through and through, and had never really been exposed to the horror that is physical labour. :) But, I am so grateful for the life I've been granted with Steve, and the orchard, and the beautiful simplicity of working the land. However, on days like this, when the mercury in the thermometer is boiling like lava, I am also very grateful for my air conditioned office at the church, and my cushy desk chair. We all have different strengths and passions, I suppose. I am so proud of how hard Steve works on the orchard. He is so diligent and thorough, and I love him for that. Farmer Brown is my hero. :)


Amanda Brown at 4:48 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment